Do you plan to build or purchase an above ground pool in your backyard? What pool pump do you want to use? If you are still unaware of the best above ground pool and the top-rated pool pumps available in the market today, you might consider this above ground pools reviews that we have prepared for you.
Unlike in-ground pools, above ground pools are more convenient to use, inexpensive, can be easily assembled (when swimming season began) and be taken down at the end of the season if you want), highly portable, and can be easily transported when you are always on the move.
Moreover, the best pool pump is also upon your reach as you go through this detailed pool pump reviews. We can definitely identify some of the finest pool pumps (a good example are the Intex pool pumps) which you could consider as your initial investment if you are beginning to own an above ground pool.
Let’s go deeper now with the amazing world of the best above ground swimming pools and the ideal pool pump which you may want to own for the longer time.
BEST TOP 4 ABOVE GROUND POOLS ON REVIEW
If you want the latest in the technology of above ground pools, here are 4 of the finest products currently available in the market as suggested by sump pump guides. These 4 products offer practicality, flexibility, and affordability compared to any other products of its class.
1. INTEX 12FT X 30IN METAL FRAME POOL SET WITH FILTER PUMP
When you talk about Intex, you are talking about affordable quality, just like this Intex 12-ft X 30-in Metal Frame Pool Set with Filter Pump. This above ground pool has strong and corrosion-free PVC laminated side walls which protect the pool from algae and minimize the formation of bacteria in the water. The pool comes handy and easy to assemble with its ideal size of 12 feet in diameter and 30 inches height.
The pool is just perfect for a family with 6 members where there is still a lot of legroom for swimming and floaters at the same time. Additionally, you don’t have to worry about the noise coming out of the pump or motor as they operate quietly. For details about the product’s warranty, you can check out the manufacturer’s website.
- Equipped with GFCI (ground-fault circuit interrupter) for safety of use
- Comes free with heavy-duty filter (Intex model 603)
- Easy to clean and maintain
- With 1,718-gallon capacity (not including water clearance of more than 3 inches from the pool’s top edges.
- Filter capacity is 530 GPS (gallon per second) equipped with proprietary Kristal Clear cartridge
- No ladder included on your purchase
- Must be taken down for winterization to protect the material
2. INTEX RECTANGULAR ULTRA FRAME POOL SET, 24-FEET BY 12-FEET BY 52-INCH
If you want your pool as simple as a rectangular shape, you may opt for the Intex Rectangular Ultra Frame Pool Set which is 24 feet X 12 feet in length and width, respectively, and 52 inches deep. The height of the water (52 inches) is enough for your teenage kids to have an exciting swim and nice swooping.The package will include Intex’s proprietary sand filter (capacity is 1,600 GPH), a ladder, pool cover, and ground cloth. And all of these accessories come free with your order!
This easy to use and simple to assemble rectangular above ground pool has strong but soft gray laminated pool liner reinforced with 18 steel frame sections. The steel frame supports You are assured of the safety of the whole family.
- Pool water capacity is 8,403 gallons
- Equipped with GFCI for added protection and safety
- A large pool that will bring excitement, especially for your kids
- Ideal for large families or relatives who visit for a weekend fun
- Easy to assemble which include an instructional DVD upon purchase
- Easy to maintain and clean (sand filter is the easiest to manage)
- Price barrier breached the $1,000 mark but the product’s amazing features speak for itself (Amazon.com offers the lowest price thus far)
- You need a medium-size backyard to enjoy the benefits of having a huge above ground swimming pool including its immense accessories
3. STEEL PRO 15′ X 48″ FRAME POOL SET
The Steel Pro 15’ X 48” Frame Pool Set is a round-shaped above ground pool from Bestway. This cheap swimming pool is very strong which has super durable side walls. The wall is made from 3 separate layers of materials (heavy gauge PVC on the outside, durable polyester mesh in-between, and another heavy gauge PVC on the inside), combined together to form one of the strongest composite materials for a portable pool.
This pool’s steel frame and soft but rigid PVC wall liner can be quickly set up because of the locking system the pool is equipped. The frames are locked together using “T” connectors and “C” clips, including the fittings.
- Pool capacity is 4,231 gallon which is 90% of the total water volume
- Can be easily set up especially when you are in the rush
- Ideal for children 4 years old and older
- Children can still play volleyball and other games comfortably inside this pool
- Frames and liners are proven rust-proof
- Highly portable (can be moved elsewhere in the backyard without disassembling)
- Package does not include filter or pump, but they can be bought from the same dealer separately
4. INTEX 10′ X 30″ EASY SET ABOVE GROUND INFLATABLE SWIMMING POOL | 28120E
Intex continues to dominate the market for their superb, affordable yet simple design of products, just like the Intex 10’ X 30” Easy Set Above Ground Inflatable Swimming Pool. Yes, you heard it right! This amazing pool set is made from inflatable materials which are thrice less the time to set up (no need for tools) than steel framed pools. Don’t worry about the liner (strong laminated sidewalls), it is made from 3-ply materials that is why it could withstand the load of water and people inside. It could also stand on its own without steel frames or support.
- Ideal for a family with 5 members
- Can accommodate 1,018 gallons of water (80% of total water volume)
- The package comes with instructional video (DVD format)
- Drain plug can be connected to garden hose for quick and easy draining
- Lightweight at only 8.5 lbs overall weight
- Very portable, can be carried or moved within your backyard even if inflated (no water)
- One of the cheapest above ground pools with unquestionable quality
- Filter and pump not included in your purchase but can be ordered separately
- Must be installed strictly on level ground
- No GCFI circuit breaker included
ABOVE GROUND POOLS AND PUMPS- AN OVERVIEW
COMPARING COST (ABOVE-GROUND VS IN-GROUND POOLS)
During the past few years, high-quality above-ground swimming pools had been the talk of the town for homeowners who were trying to pick the best alternative for an in-ground pool. Everybody knows that building a conventional in-ground pool may cost a fortune, so more and more homes are choosing a better alternative to have their summer months more enjoyable without visiting the beaches.Majority of these households had chosen above ground pools instead because of the following reasons (aside from the rationales we stated above):
- Can be winterized easily.
- Low-maintenance compared to in-ground pools.
- Several sizes and capacities to choose from.
- No annoying sounds/disruptions of heavy equipment digging compared to in-ground pool construction.
- Compared to cost, a well-fortified and modern above ground pool may only cost you less than $4,000 (against an in-ground pool that may cost $30,000 for the same capacity).
The total cost for a good quality above ground swimming pool includes pool equipment for cleaning/vacuum, heavy-duty pump, piping system, filters, ladders, and other pool accessories (they may be purchased separately, but still, the cost is much lower than having an in-ground pool).
In addition to these compelling reasons, choosing an above ground swimming pool will let you choose the best shape and size for your family. You don’t need a sprawling in-ground pool if you are only, say, 4 people in your family. There are also larger above-ground pools that could accommodate more than 5 people at the same time and yet manage to have a lot of space for movement, play, and legroom for swimming floaters.
DISTINCT FEATURES OF AN ABOVE GROUND POOL
- Freedom in customizing your pool and pump
- No need to dig large pit or foundation and pouring concrete unlike in-ground pools
- Some models can be set up and disassembled in minutes (as long as the piping system is in place), except for hard-sided frame types (which takes time to assemble and disassemble)
- Above-ground pools can have durable, soft, and flexible materials unlike concrete
- Come in hard or soft-sided frames
- Space saver as some sizes can fit in narrow backyard
- Models have safety features even during maintenance (such as GFCI circuit breaker)
- Some brands are inflatable
COMMON TYPES OF ABOVE GROUND SWIMMING POOLS
1. HARD-SIDED POOL (ALSO CALLED SHEET METAL FRAME)
Hard-sided or sheet metal above ground pools are those types with frames made from rolled sheets of steel. This has typical liner as the interior of the pool. The construction is semi-permanent but can be moved by disassembling the structure.
The hard-sided pool is not as mobile as the soft-sided variety, but it is more durable and stronger than the latter.
2. SOFT-SIDED POOL
On the other hand, a soft-sided pool is a type of portable swimming pool with its wall functions as its liner made from a canvas-like material. Its frame is typically made of zinc-coated steel. This type of pool can be easily set up and taken down in minutes. This is also the cheapest type of above ground pool and highly portable (can be moved without dismantling).
HOW TO SIZE YOUR ABOVE GROUND POOL PUMP
Sizing up your pool pump is not so elaborate after all. The general rule is: The pump should circulate/filter all the water in your pool within 8 hours. Over sizing your motor will certainly give you a higher operating cost and you might also be overpowering your filter system.As an illustration, if you have a 1,400-gallon (the standard diameter of this pool size is usually 12 feet) pool capacity, by dividing the capacity (1,400 gallons) by 8 hours, you’ll come up with a 175-GPM (gallon per minute) flow rate to circulate all the water. This information (Hp, flow rate, rated voltage, speed in RPM, etc.) are written on the motor’s nameplate on its housing.
For a detailed pool pump sizing, you can click here
THINGS TO CONSIDER IN CHOOSING THE BEST ABOVE GROUND SWIMMING POOL
The best above ground pool is just sitting beside you (you only have to pick it after you have read this article). This above ground pools review is your best tool to narrow down your choices in picking the perfect swimming pool for your family. Do you want to know the different factors to be considered in choosing the best rated above ground pool without hurting your pocket? Certainly, you do.
Here are 4 facts to consider when buying an above ground pool.
1. DETERMINE THE RIGHT SIZE
Aside from picking your desired shape of an above ground swimming pool, you must consider the ideal size for your family. If you are expecting friends or neighbors during weekends to join with the family for enjoyable bonding, you may prefer a larger one.
Above-ground pools may come in oval, round, rectangular, square, and other brilliant shapes that you can choose from. However, the size varies depending on your desired water capacity. Just like the Intex swimming pools, the standard length is from 12 X 18 feet to 21 X 43 feet (length X width). Some models come smaller in length (or width for round-shaped) and height which are conducive to kids. The standard wall heights come in 3 variants, which are 48”, 52”, and 54” for most popular brands. The latter is the latest in the market.
Although an above ground pool is way cheaper than in-ground pools, different brands offer a wide array of prices with a variety of style, shape, materials, and accessories included in the purchase. The chemicals that you will use to maintain clean and clear water are usually not included in the package which might be more expensive in the long run than the whole price of the pool.
But buying these chemicals and its equipment (such as chlorinator kit, etc.) are inevitable once you decide to own a pool (whether it’s an above ground or in-ground pools). That is why it is advised that you also allocate a budget for these things.
3. CHECK FOR THE WARRANTY
Most pool manufacturers and dealers offer a lifetime warranty (but this is rare), some brands give 5 to 8 years. Check reviews or the manufacturers’ website for their offered warranty on their products so you can have a replacement for defective parts in a disclosed time frame.
Some pool owners who seldom use their swimming pools to have longer warranties. Longtime above ground pool users also prefer longer warranty.
4. EASE OF USE
If you are planning on winterizing your pool during the winter months or you want to leave it on the ground (in your backyard) whole year-round, pick the right product. Some pools of this kind may not endure the extreme cold outside (which will require winterizing). In this case, some are designed to be easily assembled and taken out any time and be stored.
TOP 4 BEST ABOVE GROUND POOL PUMPS
If you are considering to buy used pool pump as a replacement for your old and dilapidated pump, think again. Also, if your purchased above ground pool does not include a pump, take a look at these following facts about the top 4 pool pumps currently available in the market. Find here the best pool pump available in the market today.
Additionally, these products are great replacement or as your initial unit as they are considered some of the best pool pumps with the lowest prices. Here are my top picks for this category.
1. HAYWARD SP1580X15 POWER-FLO LX SERIES 1-1/2-HORSEPOWER ABOVE-GROUND POOL PUMP WITH CORD
Hayward brands of pool pumps are some of the well-received brands in the pool and other similar industries (such as spas, Jacuzzi, etc). One good example is the Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo Pool Pump. This 1.5Hp above ground pool pump is well-above its class.
As far as pumps regulate the flow of water and thereby cleansing and clearing it to a more suitable condition for human use, the Hayward SP1580X15 sets the standard for value, good hygiene, and capability.
- Rust and corrosion-resistant body
- Comes with large strainer basket that can filter out stone and other debris
- With automatic shut off system (thermal overload relay)
- Automatic startup system (the motor starts when level of water begins to subside)
- The pump housing is made from PermaGlass XL which minimizes vibration
- One of the cheapest pumps on the market with admirable qualities
- Guaranteed to lasts longer than any other brand due to its double-size and heat-proof seals
- Filter and heater are not included in the purchase but can be ordered separately from the same dealer
2. BLUE WAVE NE6171B MAXI REPLACEMENT PUMP FOR ABOVE GROUND POOLS, 1.5 HP
The 1.5 Hp Blue Wave NE61718 Maxi Replacement Pump is not only a great unit for replacing your old and dilapidated above ground pool pump, it is also ideal as an initial unit for those purchases that don’t include motors. This motor is self-priming, that is, it has an ability to lift water even if the level is below the pump’s suction line without filling it up.
Moreover, the brand new Hayward Maxi Replacement Pump is also more economical compared to pool pump
- With immense capacity of 62 GPM (gallon per minute) at 20 feet of head
- Has a dual-port design which can be mounted in either horizontal or vertical configuration (1.5-inch suction and discharge piping system)
- With clear lid design so you can see what the pump has strained (inside the basket) and for easy cleaning and maintenance
- Rated at 110 volts
- Easy to install and lightweight at only 24lbs overall weight
- Putting the pump near the pool is not advisable as accidental water splashing may wet the electrical parts
- Manual control (need to be shut off manually when needed)
3. INTEX KRYSTAL CLEAR SAND FILTER PUMP FOR ABOVE GROUND POOLS, 16-INCH, 110-120V WITH GFCI
One of the greatest achievements of Intex in the field of manufacturing pool pumps is the introduction of the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump. Compared to a cartridge and Diatomaceous Earth (DE) filters, this powerful pump has the old but reliable and maintenance-free sand filtering technology. The unit comes with its own filtering system when you buy this affordable pump.
- Sand filter is proven to last 3 times longer than ordinary cartridge filters
- With built-in 24-hour timer
- Safer to use because the electrical system is equipped with GFCI
- Sand is replaceable after 5 years, so you save on cost compared to the constant replacement of cartridge filters every summer
- Higher flow rate (3,000GPH) than conventional pump
- Heavier than other pumps of its class (overall weight is 40.9lbs)
4. PENTAIR 011018 INTELLIFLO VARIABLE SPEED HIGH PERFORMANCE POOL PUMP, 3 HORSEPOWER, 230 VOLT, 1 PHASE – ENERGY STAR CERTIFIED
Yes, the Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Performance Pool Pump is one-of-a-kind pool pump which is designed with variable speed. This is why the pump can save you more in terms of energy conserved (and money) compared when you are using an ordinary motor for your pool.
A variable speed pump has a motor that will enable you to control the desired RPM (revolution per minute) of the pump’s impeller for use in different operations. You can use the low-speed when the pool is occupied or high-speed when you are doing a maintenance, circulation, etc.
- Can save you 90% of electric bill compared to using ordinary pump
- With 8 programmable speed settings
- Can be controlled by various applications such as IntelliTouch or the SunTouch Pool Control, etc.
- Definitely an intelligent pump and an intelligent choice
- All speed settings have quite operations
- You might be intimated by its price but every penny of investment is worth it
There you have it, pool lovers! We have given you more options in choosing the best above ground pool and the finest pool pump. You can now select the most practical and cost-effective brands that will fit your family’s needs without sacrificing quality. After all, you definitely want the best for your family.
Although the brands and models that we have discussed may vary in price, the manufacturers’ offered amount corresponds to each product’s salient features and flexibility.
Giving credence to this review will certainly bring you closer to the product that you want where you can feel satisfaction and relief, while you relish the convenience and excitement of having an above ground swimming pool in your backyard.